Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I Can't Believe I Have a Blog


Here's the thing; I'm a writer by nature. I write fiction, non-fiction, ideas, story lines, a master's thesis, and always my opinion. I have avoided blogging like the plague, however. Perhaps it's my intense dislike of joining the "lemmings" as they follow each other blindly over the cliff. (I don't even Twitter. Or is it Tweet?) Certainly a part of me has always resisted sharing my life's intimate details with people I don't know, especially those surfing the Internet for someone else's life to follow.

But here's the other thing. Ever since I began writing term papers, my professors have told me that should life present itself with the opportunity to be the next Anna Quinlan, writing editorials for Newsweek and pieces for prestigious papers, I should snag it. No matter how long they had been assigning papers on the same subject, year after year, when my paper surfaced to the top of the stack, they had something to look forward to again. I never took the same approach, I always saw something new or differently, I was charming and coy, and I could make them think and laugh. Not bad considering some of the happier topics were alcohol addiction and caregiver burden for elderly dementia patients.

Anna Quinlan has since retired from Newsweek's editorial staff and I have no presumptions of sliding into her spot, covet it though I may. Instead, I introduce this blog and hope to entertain and inform the way we think and see things in our worlds. Even if the only person who gets a different take is myself, I'll consider it a success.

Welcome. Life is often editorialized. Now it's my turn. (Sorry for the pun Anna.)

No comments:

Post a Comment